Spiced Cauliflower “Rice” with Avocado and Poached Egg
Eggs are mostly common to be associated with breakfast or brunch, but an “egg lover” will have them at any time of the day, like a tasty snack or a great protein source on a lunch dish. In this case the juicy poached egg, the spiced cauliflower “rice” and the soft avocado are a match made in heaven, they compliment each other rather nicely, as well as providing an interesting texture mix, crunchy versus creamy and that is always a great combination.
If eggs are not an option, the spiced “rice” works very well as a side dish too, both nutritious and comforting. It can be served as a side to a roasted chicken breast or some grilled salmon, easy and quick. The cauliflower really takes on the flavour of the spices with a sweet hint of the coconut oil.
In the end, this is a great guilt-free comfort food recipe, for those moody and cold winter days or a late weekend brunch.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 2 cups cauliflower florets (without the stems)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 small red onion
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 red pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 sliced avocado
- 2 eggs
- A few drops of white wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Place the cauliflower florets in a food processor and pulse it until it turns into small bits (it should resemble rice), reserve.
- Chop the red onion and diced the red peppers. Melt the coconut oil in a pan in a medium heat, add the chopped onions and the pepper dices and sauté for a few minutes until soft.
- Add the spices and the cauliflower “rice”, let it cook for 3 to 4 minutes until tender, season as taste and than remove from the heat.
- For the poached eggs: Fill a pan with a couple of inches of water and a few drops of vinegar, bring it to a boil. When it starts to simmer lower the heat. Crack the each egg into a small bowl, gently slip the eggs in the water, one at a time. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes and than remove the eggs from the water.
- Distribute the rice into 2 bowls, arrange the avocado slices (half of an avocado for each), place the poached eggs over the avocado slices. Sprinkle everything with the chopped cilantro.